In need of light liaison aircraft, the United States Army ordered the first of what would eventually total more than 7,000 Piper Cub aircraft in 1941, which it designated L-4. The airplane, known as the "Model T" of aviation, soon found itself used as an artillery spotter, ambulance, reconnaissance aircraft, and glider pilot trainer.
Cubs flew for more than 16 nations. In addition they were used by the then newly formed Civil Air Patrol as submarine patrol aircraft on both coasts.
The L-21B Super Cub, a model delivered in 1953, was a more powerful version of its predecessors, having a rating of 135 HP, compared to the L-4's 65 HP engine. It also featured an improved fuel system, wing flaps, more instrumentation, and a higher gross weight. 568 L21's were acquired by the Army.
The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's L-21B was built for the Military Assistance Program of the early 1950's and was shipped to Italy for light liaison duties. It was acquired through the Federal Surplus Property Program by the Museum in 1985.
Lycoming 0-290 engine of 135 HP
Wing Span: 35 Feet, 3 Inches
Length: 22 Feet, 4.5 Inches
Height: 6 Feet, 8.5 Inches
Maximum Speed: 130 MPH
Normal Cruising Speed: 100 MPH
Normal Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Observer
Range: 400 Miles
CLICK ON EACH THUMBNAIL PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT
web designer & webmaster Bill Rambow web hosting and support by Avialantic
Buy Piper Cub books, videos, artwork and gear at Historic Aviation. Purchases referred from this link help support MAAM's web-site